Saturday, May 5, 2012

Adventures installing Linux 2

I got frustrated trying to get the touchpad to work, so decided to re-install Slackware and start again from scratch. This time I tried to keep track of everything I changed to get wifi to work. This is for my own benefit, but maybe someone else will find it useful. If that's you, note that I'm installing Slackware 13.37 on an LT4004u computer with a BCM4313 802.11 b/g/n wifi chip, and I don't know what I'm doing. Here's what I did:
  1. Put bcm43xx-0.fw and bcm43xx_hdr-0.fw in /lib/firmware/brcm
  2. Added "blacklist ipv6" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
  3. Changed /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf to:
    DEBUG_ETH_UP="no"
    IFNAME[4]="wlan0"
    USE_DHCP[4]="yes"
    WLAN_ESSID[4]="[my computer's essid]"
    WLAN_WPADRIVER[4]="wext"
    WLAN_WPACONF[4]="/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"
  4. Changed /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf to:
    network={
      ssid="[my home's wireless]"
      psk="[my home's password]"
    }
  5. Deleted wpa_supplicant.conf (this step is probably not important, but alien bob said it's okay)
It doesn't start on boot. Surely that should be easy to fix. In the meantime, I type:

wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
dhcpcd wlan0

[Update: Indeed, just put the above two lines into "/etc/rc.d/rc.local".]
I added a network to wpa_supplicant with "key_mgmt=NONE", and now it works on campus and at most coffee shops. The "coffee bean and tea leaf" has a regularly changing password on a TV screen. I wonder if I'd have to edit wpa_supplicant every time, or if  there's way to do it from the command line, maybe as an option to iw. [Update: yes, of course, it's "iwconfig wlan0 essid Coffee-Bean-or-whatever key s:stupid-code-on-the-screen"].

No comments: